What happens if I am divorced? Can my ex-spouse claim a portion of my pension?

The Retirement Equity Act of 1984 allows a participant’s pension to be viewed as marital property. Under this federal law, an Alternate Payee (former spouse) can be awarded a stated portion of the Participant’s Pension by a court order that meets the requirements of a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO). If you are divorced and your Pension is determined to be marital property, a QDRO can be issued by the court. A QDRO Checklist and sample QDROs are available from the Pension Office (at no charge) and are also available on the carpdc website under Pension forms.

QDRO Checklist and Samples

More information regarding Pension Plan Rules

Powered by BetterDocs